After reading about the epoch-making approach known as mother-foetus (or mother-embryo) relation analysis by Jenő Raffai and György Hidas, I could not stop myself talking about it in front of my friends and for clients. I truly believe that the knowledge that lies in the book is essential for our generation.
Although I recommend that everyone reads his work they are unfortunately not available in English. Thus I would like to share part of his knowledge and work in order to help our moms create a unique relationship with their babies from the very first moment.
The theory behind Jenő Raffai’s methodology can be summarized in these points:
- There is a physical, biological and psychological connection between the mother and the unborn child from the very first time (psychical-navel string)
- The human life is continuous, starting with the conception. Even beyond that: we receive chromosomic legacy from elder generations as well as cultural, socio-ecological conditions
- The unborn baby already has an own identity and that interacts with the mother’s emotional life as well as with her attitude, psychosocial, relational and physical condition.
- Our prenatal life significantly affects our physical- mental development, identity and the quality of our social relations.
György Hidas and Jenő Raffai, two Hungarian psychoanalysts, created a methodology — the so called mother-foetus relation analysis — that creates a deep relation between the mom (and dad) and the unborn baby, where the emotions can be shared, and the relation becomes controllable, variable and balanced.
The most important things that happen during relation analysis:
- The mother learns how to communicate with her unborn baby
- The mother learns how to have a positive, open attitude towards the motherhood, labour, and her baby
- The mother recalls her own prenatal and birth experiences and — with the help of the psychoanalyst- heals from prenatal traumas.
Besides the value of this unique experience between the mother and her baby there are fantastic benefits of the relation analysis, such as:
- It decreases the risk of premature birth and other possible physiological complications during pregnancy
- The newborns are relaxed, genial, and trustful
- The babies develop their kinetic and cognitive skills unusually fast
- It prevents the formation of psychosomatic disorders, mental disorders, bonding problems, and contributes in the psychological well-being of our child.
György Hidas, Jenő Raffai, Judit Vollner: Lelki köldökzsinór. Beszélgetek a kisbabámmal (= Élet-világ sorozat. Bd. 5). Válasz, Budapest 2002
Hidas György, Jenö Raffai: Nabelschnur der Seele. Psychoanalytisch orientierte Förderung der vorgeburtlichen Bindung zwischen Mutter und Baby.Psychosozial, Gießen 2006